Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is hiring a Tooling Engineer/Heavy Fixture Designer for our Burlington and Devens, MA facilities.
As a Tooling Engineer/Heavy Fixture Designer at VulcanForms, you will provide technical leadership for production tooling requirements for both our Burlington and Devens, MA facilities. This position will be responsible for designing and implementing tooling and fixtures that enable the safe and efficient handling of large, heavy parts. This will include developing handling and manipulation tools, insertion fixtures, lifting and transport systems for each processing station on the shop floor.
Additionally, responsibilities include providing design changes and incorporating new technologies to support Manufacturing, Quality, and EH&S concerns. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in all aspects of manufacturing operations, health and safety regulations to achieve the highest standards and a safe work environment.
- Design and coordinate the building of tools and fixtures for new programs and oversees their implementation into production.
- Supports prototype builds with Design engineers and provides advice on feasibility, cost, and practicality of designs.
- Provides tool engineering support to production departments
- Review processes for new tooling and analyzes existing tooling for improvement.
- Schedule and coordinate timely preventive maintenance of tooling
- Coordinate with outside contractors on the cost, schedule, design, design review, build, delivery, and the runoff of tooling
- Coordinate engineering changes and establishes production feasibility of designs working with tooling subcontractors and Manufacturing Engineering.
- Conduct design reviews internally and with customers and vendors, and act as a liaison between design engineering, manufacturing engineers, quality department, purchasing department, and tooling subcontractors.
- Coordinate Tool Room workload on a day-to-day basis
- Directed and coordinated the activities of cross-functional teams to ensure the project stays on schedule and within budget.
- Ensure the safety of all associates by identifying safety issues and taking measures to proactively address concerns and adhere to the safety policies and procedures.
- B.S. Degree in Engineering or related technical degree with 10+ years of tooling experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and operations
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing techniques, Quality Systems, and SPC tools
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Experience with CAD/Creo design tools.
- Experience with CNC / CMM / PLC programming a plus
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing business requirements
- Practical interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, and decision-making skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- Flexible work schedule
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.