Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is seeking a Test Technician – Gas Flow to join our Gas Flow Engineering Team at our Burlington, MA facility. The main objective will be to support testing operation and analysis of the gas flow test stand and the gas flow system when running in our high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process. You will be part of the team to define and develop the gas flow system and roadmaps for the world's most productive and advanced metal AM systems. You will support the gas flow test stand build, design, and operation. You will collaborate with the process, simulation, flow, controls, and materials experts to continuously improve the gas flow system and the overall LPBF process configurations. Your work's primary result is to provide our customers with superior parts of the highest quality that meets their specifications.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our AM system design and performance. You will work closely with both mechanical systems and software and controls teams for integration and implementation.
- Support the gas flow system test stand experiments, modifications, design, and operation.
- Support testing of the gas flow system within the LPBF machine/process.
- Identify, acquire, and deploy instrumentation for the gas flow system test stand and LPBF machine.
- Organize and process data and document tests through written test reports
- Communicate test results and challenges with colleagues of varying technical backgrounds.
- You will actively participate in the system integration, machine building, commissioning, and gathering first-hand feedback on the performance of the gas flow system.
- Associates degree or higher in Mechanical, Systems, Mechatronics Engineering, or equivalent with 3+ years of experience with testing of industrial systems and applications
- Experience with gas-flow and or other test-stand modification and operation
- Experience with actuation systems - electro-mechanical or pneumatic
- Experience with instrumentation - flow, dynamics pressures, Schlieren, or other in situ testing
- Experience with data acquisition, data processing, and report writing
- Curious, thoughtful, and fast
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Strong sense of ownership
- Experience with rapid prototyping or additive manufacturing
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Hands-on, practical "get-it-done" attitude
- Proficiency in using at least one CAD system (preferably Creo) and PDM system
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.