Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is growing and is looking for a skilled and enthusiastic Technical Buyer to join our high-performing procurement team. This position requires the procurement of products through effective bidding, negotiation, and supplier management.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with effective project management, application knowledge, communication, and technical problem-solving skills to ensure the execution of our productivity initiatives. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
As a Technical Buyer at VulcanForms Inc., Devens, MA, you will be responsible for understanding our technology and manufacturing requirements and then source material, parts, and equipment to meet those requirements. You will mainly be responsible for ensuring that you place the Purchase Orders in a timely fashion, that the Purchase Orders placed by you are received, meets our requirements, and that the vendors receive payment on time for their products or services.
You are required to develop a deep understanding of the additive manufacturing machines that we are building along with the other ancillary equipment/processes. You will need to understand what parts go into this machinery, the specs for those parts, and why. You will need to build positive relationships with the vendors while securing price and lead time for individual components. Understand how to reduce lead time, get better pricing, know which parts are a single source, and discover alternative vendors to assist the company plan for better production. You will maintain a database of all vendors and signed contracts and review vendor contracts in complete detail to ensure that we are getting the best terms.
- Manage relationships with suppliers as the point of contact for assigned commodities.
- Execute all procurement activities to ensure that materials, parts, and equipment meet the delivery schedule, negotiated price, and meets specifications and quality requirements.
- Communicate with internal stakeholders' supply risk while reducing supply complexity.
- Maintain and update system(s) with updated supplier information, supplier's compliance, and part item master-data
- Process purchase requisitions submitted by internal customers from a qualified supplier base are cost-effective and consistent with the company's processes and procedures.
- Solicit bids, analyze quotations, select or recommend suppliers, and negotiate purchase agreements in concert with the highest quality at the lowest total cost.
- Work with commodity management to establish and implement "inventory purchase agreements" that support reducing lead times, support on-time deliveries, prevent excess inventories, and increase inventory turns.
- Coordinate review of suppliers' scorecard performances (KPI) to ensure on-time delivery, quality, inventory, and reducing PPI impacts
- Continue to research and develop sources of supply for assigned commodities with a continuous improvement approach.
- Participate in Supplier Audits as required.
- Ensure enforcement of ISO Policies and Procedures within the Procurement Department and assist with cross-training as required.
- Discuss/review with current suppliers their performances in delivery and quality. In addition, these meetings should include, but not be limited to, discussions concerning the suppliers' current production capabilities, quality systems in place, in-house engineering, and their financial status.
- BS/BA with supply chain discipline having 5-7 years of purchasing experience
- Ability to drive cost reduction projects to achieve consistent PPV/PPI and overall material spend reductions.
- Proven ability to ensure material availability while reducing inventory and increasing inventory turns
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- APICS/ ISM certification desirable
- Extensive experience with MRP/ERP software, Epicor preferred. Experience in ERP Implementation is a plus.
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Team player with strong computer and excellent communication skills
- Ability to understand and apply lean Manufacturing methods and ISO best policies and standards
- International purchasing and planning experience is a plus.
- Strong sense of ownership
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.