Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is hiring a Simulation Engineer for our Burlington, MA location.
As the Simulation Engineer at VulcanForms, you will be a subject matter expert in Additive Manufacturing multiscale process simulation and prediction. This role has a significant impact on first time yield components and ensuring parts meet customer requirements.
- Performing rapid melting and solidification aspect of simulation for metal additive manufacturing to evaluate potential process defects
- Utilizing simulations to identify processing windows to post-processing heat treat and hot isostatic pressing operations
- Working with product engineers to optimize processing parameters, and build strategy to ensure acceptable processing defects
- Supporting and collaborating with internal teams to provide subject-matter expertise in the development of multiscale modeling systems (for VulcanForms AM process and machines)
- Utilizing domain knowledge and process simulation tools to investigate the formation of build defects, and simulation team focal to assist process team to build high quality components
- Bachelor of Science degree in Materials, Mechanical Engineering, or related field with 4+ years of relevant work experience; or Master of Science degree with 2+ years of relevant work experience; or PhD degree
- Experience working with any one of the following commercial software programs:
- Solidification software (i.e., Procast, Magma, Flow3D-Cast)
- Metal forming software (i.e., Deform, Forge3D, Simufact)
- Thermodynamic software (i.e., Thermocalc, Pandat)
- Experience implementing thermodynamic based phase change or material constitutive models
- Working knowledge in CAD and solid model file management
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- MS or PhD degree in Materials, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Experience working with cellular automata, level-set, and solidification phase field models
- Working knowledge of additively manufactured metal components and their post processing
- Working knowledge of AM related metallurgical transport phenomena or conventional metal casting in Inconel and titanium alloys
- Thrives in a cross-functional team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical documentation experience
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) industry or educational experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup company environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.