Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world’s most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production.
We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We are continuously seeking contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning.
VulcanForms is currently seeking a Senior Product Engineer – Simulation and Distortion to join our Product Engineering team at our Burlington, MA facility. As a Senior Product Engineer, you will be a subject matter expert in AM build simulation and distortion prediction. You will be responsible for the selection and execution of commercial simulation software to evaluate distortion, component optimization, and build file compensation. You will also collaborate with our software and process teams to ensure the simulation tools integrate smoothly into the AM digital flow. This role has a significant impact on first time yield of components and ensuring parts meet customer requirements.
- Performing simulation of the metal additive manufacturing process to evaluate the impact on residual stresses and deformation
- Utilizing simulations to study effects from post-processing heat treat and cutting operations
- Working with product engineers to optimize part design, support structure, and build a strategy to minimize distortion and potential build failures
- Inspecting and analyzing results to create compensated models (STL)
- Supporting and collaborating with internal teams to provide subject-matter expertise in the development of novel modeling systems for VulcanForms AM process and machines
- Utilizing simulation tools to investigate build failures and support root cause investigations
- Act as a subject-matter expert for build distortion prediction
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related field with 7+ years of relevant work experience; or MS or Ph.D. degree with 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience working with commercial finite element modeling software (i.e., Ansys, Simufact, Abaqus), working with both Eigen Strain (inherent strain) and coupled thermo-mechanical simulation
- Expert in CAD and solid model file management
- Must be a current US Citizen or US Resident/Green Card Holder
- MS or Ph.D. degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related field
- 3+ years working with Additive Manufacturing (AM) Applications
- Expert knowledge of FEA simulation and optimization of additively manufactured metal components and subsequent process influences
- Expert knowledge of design for additive manufacturing, specifically metal laser powder-bed fusion
- Experience with 3D scanning and measurement tools
- Thrives in a cross-functional team environment
- Background in modeling structural metal alloys such as titanium and Inconel
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and experience with clear, organized documentation and task management