Born out of MIT, VulcanForms commercializes the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer – Recoater System Design to join our Engineering Team at our Burlington, MA facility. The main objective will be to analyze, design, fabricate, test, and evaluate powder recoating systems for our high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process. You will be part of the team to define and develop the powder spreading system and roadmaps for the world's most productive and advanced metal AM systems. You will provide an understanding of the boundary conditions, interaction, and tolerancing with other systems, propose design concepts and analyze, design, and develop those concepts. You will collaborate with the process, simulation, controls, and materials experts to continuously improve the powder spreading system and the overall LPBF process configurations. Your work's primary result is to provide our customers with superior parts of the highest quality that meets their specifications.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our AM system design and performance. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration and software and control development and implementation.
- Optimize the recoater system to achieve the highest quality of the powder bed.
- Conceptualize, design, fabricate, and commission highly reliable mechanical components for the recoating system and integrate them into the laser powder-bed fusion process.
- Conceptualize and evaluate novel concepts for powder layer deposition.
- Your design tasks will include designing and evaluating actuation systems, contact and contact-less powder spreading mechanisms, integrating sensing systems.
- Lead FMEA and design reviews
- Communicate decisions, results, and challenges with colleagues of varying technical backgrounds.
- You will actively participate in the system integration, machine building, commissioning, and gathering first-hand feedback on the performance of your designs.
- B.S. degree or higher in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, Robotics or equivalent, with 10+ years of experience with the design of industrial production machinery and applications
- Experience integrating large systems, and knowledge of electro-mechanical actuation systems and sensors
- Proficiency in using at least one CAD system (preferably Creo) and PDM system
- Working knowledge of FEA tools (i.e., ANSYS, Abaqus) and ability to analyze simulation results
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Strong sense of ownership
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Hands-on, practical "get-it-done" attitude
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.