Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is currently seeking a Senior Machine Vision Engineer to join our Engineering team at our Burlington, MA facility. As a Senior Machine Engineer, your role is to conceive, develop and deploy new sensing strategies and sensing systems to provide crucial feedback on the Laser Powder-Bed Fusion additive manufacturing process. You will be responsible for creating new data streams that aid in research and development, increase productivity, and improve build quality. You will use your expertise to identify sensors that capture and quantify process feedback to develop quality assurance and in-process feedback technologies.
You will have a hands-on development role in designing a sensing system that will fuse multiple sensing technologies to provide a complete picture of the additive manufacturing process. You will work as a part of a team with computer vision and machine learning technology experts whose goal is to improve part quality continuously and critical quality assurance metrics to provide our customers with superior hardware.
You will be working closely with internal and external customers to identify project deliverables and goals, manage and lead the project execution, document and report on project progress and results, communicate milestones and deliverables with technical and non-technical leadership and stakeholders.
- Identifying sensors linked to key metrics of the additive manufacturing process
- Developing component and system requirements for deploying sensors key to industrial manufacturing
- Supporting process development and machine design by quantifying sensor feedback as key performance metrics
- Research and development of cutting-edge sensors for the additive manufacturing space
- Working with internal teams to transition Research and Development work into a deployed Machine Vision sensor
- Developing and evaluating prototype sensors including specification, algorithm development
- BS in Optical, Electrical, Computer Engineering or related field with 6 - 10 years of relevant work experience
- Experience developing and deploying Machine Vision systems and other sensing systems (i.e., imaging and electronic sensors, lasers, signal processing, algorithms) for production machinery, robotics, or other relevant fields
- Experience in working with sensing software API's and SDK's (C++ or Python)
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- MS or Ph.D. in Optical, Electrical, Computer Engineering or related field
- Experience in system-level solution development and integration
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) or Laser Welding experience
- Experience with Additive Manufacturing methods like Powder Bed Fusion (PBF) or Directed Energy Deposition (DED), or Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup company environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.