Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
As a Process Engineer – Process Development at VulcanForms, Burlington, MA, your main objective will be to design, develop, optimize, and implement a high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process for industrial applications. You will be part of the team to define and execute process development strategies and roadmaps for the world's most productive and advanced metal AM systems. You will conduct R&D and prototype printing experiments using our proprietary AM systems and analyze the outcomes. You will collaborate with our machine, software, controls, and materials experts to continuously improve and optimize the printing processes. Your work's primary result is to enable mass production and provide our customers with superior parts of the highest quality that meets or exceeds their strictest specifications.
Working with project leaders and managers, you will be responsible for executing R&D projects in collaboration with other engineering teams, expanding VulcanForms' technical capabilities in 3D printing, including better print qualities and higher productivities. Documenting and reporting project progress and results and communicating milestones and deliverables with leadership and stakeholders.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our AM system design and performance. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration and software and control development and implementation.
- Process innovation and R&D on VulcanForms' high-speed laser powder-bed fusion process enabling technological breakthroughs in additive manufacturing.
- Design, execute, and analyze experimental trials for parameter development, prototype and application prints, and optimize scanning strategies and process control methodologies.
- Process development and optimization based on multi-dimensional engineering solutions and innovations, such as experimental DOE, machine improvement, and process monitoring
- Stay up to date with cutting-edge strategies and solutions on Additive Manufacturing process development.
- Bachelor's degree with 2+ years of industrial experience in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent fields
- Deep understanding and expertise in powder-bed fusion (PBF) or directed energy deposition (DED)
- Hands-on experience in laser-related process development
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Master or Ph.D. degree
- Experience with AM-related software (Magics, nTopology, etc.) and CAD software (Creo, Autodesk Inventor, etc.)
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) and process optimization, familiarity with Minitab or JMP
- Familiarity with programming languages such as python and MATLAB
- Excited about new challenges in metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to work in a situation requiring attention to detail, coupled with a high level of multitasking and prioritization needed to meet aggressive deadlines
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.