Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Systems Engineering group at VulcanForms is growing and looking for a Principal Systems Engineer specialized in CNC Machine Design to join their engineering team. The individual will be responsible for the overall system architecture and design of our Laser Powder Bed Fusion machines for 3D Metal Additive Manufacturing.
Working with cross-functional stakeholders, you will define the overall system requirements and break them down into subsystem requirements and component specifications. You will lead the team to define requirements and procedures for qualification, verification, and validation. You will conduct design reviews and participate in in-depth system analysis. You will ensure that all the engineering documentation, including Bills of Materials, Drawings, and Assembly Instructions, are in place by the time the design is production-ready. Work closely with supply chain and operations teams to complete design, prototyping, and scale to production on an aggressive timeline.
This role is an exciting and highly challenging, hands-on position with support from a cross-functional engineering team. The growth potential for the right candidate is significant.
- BS in Mechanical or Systems Engineering with relevant work experience
- 15+ years working in design and manufacturing of high precision CNC machine tools
- Experience with DFMA and high-volume machine tool manufacturing
- Experience with identifying and developing strategic supplier relationships
- Experience in Pneumatic and Electro-Mechanical Systems, Gantry Systems
- Experience in Mechatronics, Motors, Drives, and other Controls Hardware and Software
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Advanced degree in Mechanical/Systems Engineering
- Experience with Additive Manufacturing
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.