Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Materials Engineering group at VulcanForms is growing and looking for a Powder Metallurgist specialized in Additive Manufacturing metal powders to join their Burlington, MA team. Working with our Materials Scientists and Product Engineers, this individual will be responsible for the metal powders used in our laser-powder bed fusion machines, developing metal powder analysis, re-use, and qualification strategies. The metal powders involved include Nickel, Titanium, Iron, and Cobalt-based alloys.
In addition, the successful candidate will source and approve powder lots for production part campaigns, author powder acceptance criteria and powder specifications, define safe powder handling, sieving, and storage methods. The successful candidate will have experience in metal powder manufacturing, atomization methods, compositional and particle size analysis. Candidates with expertise in additive manufacturing are encouraged to apply.
This role is an exciting and highly challenging, hands-on position with support from a well-equipped metallurgical laboratory. The growth potential for the right candidate is significant.
- BS in Materials Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years working in either the metal powder industry or similarly working in a part supplier that uses metal powders
- Experience with metal powder atomization methods such as gas, plasma, and water methods.
- Experience with metal powder safety, handling, and safe storage.
- Experience with particle size analysis and analyzers.
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Advanced degree in Materials Engineering, preferable with a concentration in Powder Metallurgy
- Strong background in LPBF powder metallurgy
- Experience in metal powder re-use strategies.
- Experience with optical, scanning electron microscopy, and metallographic sample prep.
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.