Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Materials Engineering Lab at VulcanForms is growing and actively seeking a Metallographic Technician for our Devens, MA location. You will learn how to prepare metallic samples for engineering evaluation and part process qualification in this entry-level role. The VulcanForms' Materials Team will train you in metallurgical sample preparation and analysis. You will interact with Materials Engineers and Scientists, report findings, and provide documented results using digital camera instrumented microscopes. The Metallographic Technician will be working within a manufacturing plant setting, including exposure to moving mechanical parts and chemicals, including acids, bases, and solvents. This position involves standing, sitting, manual dexterity, and climbing stairs and ladders.
The Metallographic Technician position is an exciting and challenging hands-on role. One that requires attention to detail, organizational skills, and the ability to follow complex instructions and laboratory procedures. The growth potential for the right candidate is significant.
- Comply with all company and departmental policies and procedures
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Perform routine metallurgical preparations such as sectioning, grinding, and polishing samples for analysis and reporting
- Organize and maintain lab equipment/supplies/space through preventative maintenance, routine inspections, and cleaning
- Minimally a High School Diploma/GED, 2-5 years working in a metallographic, engineering, scientific laboratory, or equivalent work experience.
- Aptitude in using precision tools and instruments such as micrometers, calipers, and scales
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy is a must.
- Easily adaptable to fulfill changing needs of customer requirements.
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions (U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (or green card holder))
- Bachelor's degree, Material Science or Metallurgy preferred
- Experience chemical handling, preparation, and storage
- Self-motivated and possesses the ability to work well in a team environment
- Strong understanding of M.S. Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Knowledge of 5S and lean principles
- Familiarity with workflow documentation procedures within a science lab environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- Flexible work schedule
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.