Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
As a Manufacturing Specialist – Level 3 – Weekend Night Shift at VulcanForms, Devens, MA, you will have the unique opportunity to work with industrial-scale metal additive manufacturing (AM) machines. You will be part of the team that launches the world's most productive additive manufacturing systems. Weekend Night Shift runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, from 7:00 pm – 7:30 am.
- Setting up AM print jobs, verifying machine settings against production specifications, overseeing the print process and quality as the machine operates, creating post-build reports, and delivering timelines.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on the machines, cleaning build volumes and optical components.
- Responsible for safely handling the metal powder before and after the build; this includes sieving, loading, part de-powdering, measuring, and safe storage.
- Manage the life cycle of the metal powder material, maintain part-powder traceability, and coordinate powder suppliers and powder recycling services.
- Strict compliance with the safety protocol and proper use of personal protective equipment when working with metal powder and high-power laser systems
- Contribute to developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for safe and effective use of equipment.
- On an as-needed basis, use equipment in the in-house machine shop, including manual and CNC machines.
- A two-year degree from vocational, college, technical institution, specialized military training, or equivalent in a related field with 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment, operating and working with high-tech production machinery, i.e., CNC machines, additive manufacturing, robotic welding, CMM or similar.
- Hands-on experience with precision measuring instruments (micrometers, calipers, height gages, precision scales, etc.)
- Attention to detail and well organized
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Physically capable of performing the essential duties of the job and able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Hands-on experience with a variety of machining tools
- Experience with one or more technologies: laser welding, directed energy deposition (DED), powder bed fusion (PBF)
- Capable of diagnosing and fixing malfunctioning equipment problems as they occur
- Knowledge of CNC programming is a plus.
- Experience with metal powders is a plus.
- Experience within an industrial manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Eager to learn new skills
- Strong sense of ownership
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.