Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal Additive Manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
As a Manufacturing Specialist – Level 3 – 2nd Shift at VulcanForms, Devens, MA, you will have the unique opportunity to work with industrial-scale metal additive manufacturing (AM) machines. You will be part of the team that launches the world's most productive additive manufacturing systems. You will be responsible for setting up AM print jobs, verifying machine settings against production specifications, overseeing the print process and quality as the machine operates, creating post-build reports, and delivering timelines. This role will require frequent lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying items up to 50 pounds.
Please note that the Manufacturing Specialist – Level 3 position is shift-based: the 1st shift runs from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm; the 2nd shift runs 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm; the 3rd shift runs 11:00 pm to 7:30 am.
- Operate VulcanForms’ metal Additive Manufacturing printers
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on the machines, cleaning build volumes and optical components.
- Safe handling of metal powder before and after the build; this includes sieving, loading, part de-powdering, measuring, and secure storage.
- Manage the life cycle of the metal powder material, maintain part-powder traceability, and coordinate powder suppliers and powder recycling services.
- Adhere to strict compliance with the safety protocol and proper personal protective equipment when working with metal powder and high-power laser systems.
- Contribute to developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for safe and effective equipment usage.
- On an as-needed basis, use equipment in the in-house machine shop, including manual and CNC machines.
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment, operating and working with high-tech production machinery, i.e., CNC machines, additive manufacturing, robotic welding, or similar.
- Hands-on experience with precision measuring instruments (micrometers, calipers, height gages, precision scales, etc.)
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Eager to learn new skills
- Hands-on experience with a variety of machining tools
- Experience with one or more technologies: laser welding, directed energy deposition (DED), or powder bed fusion (PBF)
- Capable of diagnosing and fixing malfunctioning equipment problems as they occur
- Knowledge of CNC programming is a plus
- Experience with metal powders is a plus
- Experience with industrial manufacturing is a plus
- Excited about new challenges in metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.