Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is seeking a Lead Systems Engineer to join our Gas Flow Engineering Team in Burlington, MA. The main objective will be to understand our gas flow system's structure, function, and performance to enable the manufacturing of the highest quality parts in our high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process. You will lead the gas flow team, define and flow down sub-system requirements, and develop the gas flow system from concept to production. You will collaborate with our process, simulation, controls, and materials engineers to continuously improve the gas flow system and the overall LPBF process configurations. You will be a crucial contributor to the success in providing our customers with superior parts of the highest quality that meets their specifications.
- Develops the roadmap, requirements, specifications, architecture, and technology development to improve the gas flow system and overall system reliability.
- Mentor, coach, define goals, priorities, and tasks for team members.
- Defines test protocols; analyses test data; makes recommendations based on test results for design changes and operational changes to deliver improved performance of our gas flow system.
- Communicates decisions, results, and challenges with colleagues of varying technical backgrounds
- Actively participates in the system integration, machine building, commissioning, and gathering first-hand feedback on the performance of gas flow systems.
- Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of industrial experience in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering or equivalent fields
- Broad background in Systems Engineering (electrical, controls, software, automation, gas delivery systems)
- Experience working with gas flow management systems of semiconductor processing equipment, metal LPBF systems, laser welding, combustion systems, or other similar gas and or vacuum systems
- Project Engineering experience, including leading small technical teams
- Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling
- Familiarity with heat transfer analysis and methodologies
- Experience with thermal and gas flow elements of process chamber design
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Experience using Design of Experiments (DOE) methods
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production
- Experience with flow simulation tools (i.e., COMSOL, ANSYS FLUENT, or other) and ability to analyze simulation results
- Experience with hardware design, analysis, and testing
- Experience with Additive Manufacturing methods like Powder Bed Fusion (PBF) or Directed Energy Deposition (DED), or Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup company environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays
- 401(k) with company match and stock options