Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is seeking a Controls Engineer I to work in our new production facility in Devens, MA, or our Headquarters in Burlington, MA.
As a Controls Engineer I, you will be the key contributor to the team responsible for taking our unique in-house LPBF process to a factory scale. Your primary focus will be developing controls software algorithms for new equipment and its integration into the production environment. The role will evolve to include recent development efforts related to continuous process improvement and managing rollouts of equipment upgrades.
- Testing, commissioning, troubleshooting, and support of automation and control hardware and software for industrial-scale metal additive manufacturing (AM) machines and support equipment
- You will play a crucial role in our effort to build the world's most productive additive manufacturing system.
- Working with cross-disciplinary team members to maximize the efficiency and reliability of these systems
- BS in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, or relevant field with a strong academic background and coursework in analog and digital control systems
- Basic knowledge of automation platforms such as B&R (preferred), Beckhoff, Allen-Bradley, Siemens, and others
- Capacity to troubleshoot hardware systems, components, devices
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Knowledge of at least one IEC 61131-3 languages: LD, SFC, FBD, CFC, and ST
- Knowledge of version control software (e.g., GitHub) in a multi-developer project environment
- Knowledge of single and multi-axis coordinated motion control
- Computer programming experience in Python or C/C++
- Basic understanding and or experience designing and tuning closed-loop systems to control position, pressure, flow, and temperature
- Knowledge or experience with Additive Manufacturing methods like Powder Bed Fusion (PBF) or Directed Energy Deposition (DED), or Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
- Interested in working in a fast-paced startup company environment
- Ability to lift 30lbs
- Ability to work extended hours on a computer
- Ability to work in a loud industrial environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.