Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world's most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms is seeking an Aerodynamics & CFD Engineer - Gas Flow to join our Gas Flow Engineering team at our Burlington, MA facility. The main objective will be to design, develop, test, and optimize the gas flow system in our high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process. You will be part of the team to define and develop gas flow system and roadmaps for the world's most productive and advanced metal AM systems. You will provide an understanding of the boundary conditions, propose design concepts and design, analyze, and develop those concepts. You will collaborate with the process, simulation, mechanical, and materials experts to continuously improve the gas flow system and the overall LPBF process configurations. Your work's primary result is to provide our customers with superior parts of the highest quality that meets their specifications.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our AM system design and performance. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration and software and control development and implementation.
- Develop gas flow analysis and gas flow systems designs for VulcanForms' high-speed laser powder-bed fusion process.
- Collaborate with peers to integrate your gas flow system with the broader VulcanForms machine platform.
- Analyze and test gas flow system concepts.
- Communicate decisions, results, and challenges with colleagues of varying technical backgrounds.
- Stay up to date with cutting-edge CFD modeling techniques.
- Ph.D. or Masters' degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience in design using aerodynamics, FEA, or CFD modeling and simulation
- Deep understanding and expertise in flow and vacuum systems
- Demonstration of maturing a concept through the development process into a product
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and highly accurate, and use effective means for checking the accuracy of information.
- Strong analysis and judgment skills and the ability to work well in a team environment and demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong mathematical background with expertise in multi-dimensional calculus, finite element analysis, optimization, and numerical linear algebra, and algorithm development
- Authorized to work within the U.S. without restrictions or sponsorship now or in the future (U.S. Citizen or lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. (U.S. green card holder))
- Strong sense of ownership
- Deep understanding and expertise in flow systems, vacuum for debris removal, air-knife design, and gas-particle interactions
- Experience with ANSYS FLUENT modeling tools
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DOE) and testing verification methods
- Understanding and expertise in powder-bed fusion (PBF) or directed energy deposition (DED) are preferred for this position.
- Ability to work in a situation requiring attention to detail, coupled with a high level of multitasking and prioritization needed to meet aggressive deadlines
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays.
- 401(k) with company match and stock options.