The Materials Engineering group at VulcanForms is growing and looking for a Senior
R&D Processing Technician to work in the Burlington, MA R&D facility.
As a member of the Materials Engineering Laboratory team, you will work with
Metallurgical and Materials Engineers, Materials Scientists and Product Engineers to
develop and prove-out cleaning and heat-treating processes for parts fabricated using
Laser Powder Bed Fusion. This includes supporting the modification, commissioning
and qualification of complex materials processing machines (both turn-key and in-house designed) such as high-power ultrasonic cleaning systems, de-ionized water
generators, multi-media blast stations, wet down-draft tables, filtrations systems, EDM
machines and industrial scale, vacuum heat-treating furnaces. Parts you will handle
include medical implants, aerospace components and defense related articles
manufactured in a wide range of highly engineering alloys. The cleaning, heat-treating
and post-processing methods developed by the Burlington team will contribute to
establishing part Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions for our Devens
MA production site.
This is an exciting and extremely challenging opportunity for a candidate that likes to
work with their hands, learning new skills, mentor less experienced colleagues and
enjoys working on the shop floor. The growth potential for the right candidate is
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing shop floor environment.
- Able to assemble and test complex machines.
- Basic understanding of plumbing fittings, pumps, clarification tanks, filtration, wet dust collectors, media blasting, specialty gases, electrical power requirements.
- Ability to run design of experiments.
- Identify and source tools and lifting systems required to safely handle large parts.
- Diagnose and understand equipment problems.
- Communicate pertinent information to Engineering staff.
- Work with a high degree of autonomy and able to diagnose and resolve issues independently.
- Develop strategies to improve process repeatability of equipment.
- Assist with strategies for the installation and support of part processing systems at the Devens production facility.
- Strong documentation and verbal skills for documenting repair process and communication with other technical teams.
- Must be authorized to work in the USA (US Person).
- Work is in a manufacturing plant setting which may include exposure to moving mechanical parts and chemicals including acids, bases, and solvents.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing some of the duties for this role.
- Previous experience working for Aerospace or Medical Device Manufacturer as a post-processing technician.
- Experience operating large, industrial size, high vacuum, all metal heat-treat furnaces.
- Working knowledge in software-based controls for production equipment
- Associates Degree in a Technical Field of Study.
- 3+years of applicable experience.