Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world’s most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We are continuously seeking contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning.
As a Senior Process Engineer – Process Modeling at VulcanForms, Burlington, MA, you will be working at the cutting edge of the additive manufacturing field. You will model and simulate VulcanForms’ high-speed laser powder bed fusion (LPBF) process, and develop process control architecture. Your models and insight into the LPBF process will guide Vulcanforms’ process control strategies to produce industrial parts using the world’s most productive and advanced metal Additive Manufacturing system. You will collaborate with our software, controls, and materials experts to continuously improve and optimize the processes. Your work’s ultimate goal is to provide our customers with parts of the highest quality, meeting or exceeding the strictest application requirements.
You will be responsible for identifying project deliverables and goals, managing and leading the project execution, documenting and reporting project progress and results, and communicating milestones and deliverables with leadership and stakeholders.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to further improve our Additive Manufacturing system design and performance. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration and software and control development and implementation.
- Develop process modeling and simulation tools for VulcanForms’ high-speed laser powder-bed fusion process.
- Collaborate with peers to integrate your modeling and simulation tools with the broader VulcanForms software stack.
- Assess candidate third-party process modeling and simulation tools for integration into VulcanForms software stack.
- Communicate decisions, results, and challenges with colleagues of varying technical backgrounds.
- Stay up to date with cutting-edge process modeling and simulation techniques.
- Master or Ph.D. degree with a minimum of 2 years of industrial or national-lab experience in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent fields
- Solid mathematical background with an understanding of multi-dimensional calculus, optimization, numerical linear algebra, and algorithm development
- Deep understanding and expertise in materials process modeling and simulation focusing on the thermal history and or microstructure evaluations
- Authorized to work within the US without restrictions (U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (or green card holder))
- Understanding and expertise in powder-bed fusion (PBF) or directed energy deposition (DED)
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Programming ability in C++ and Python
- Excited about new challenges in metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to work in a situation requiring attention to detail, coupled with a high level of multitasking and prioritization needed to meet aggressive deadlines
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Team player with excellent communication skills