Born out of MIT, VulcanForms is commercializing the first fully scalable industrial metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution. Building the world’s most powerful and advanced metal AM system is the first step towards our vision of lights-out, highest quality metal AM mass production. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We are continuously seeking contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning.
As a Metallurgical Lab Manager at VulcanForms, Devens, MA, you will be responsible for all aspects of the lab, including layout and workflow, selecting and installing machines, hiring and managing support staff.
Candidates with extensive experience managing and working in either busy industrial R&D or production support labs are highly preferred.
The successful candidate must be highly experienced in preparing and evaluating metallic, metallographic samples for engineering evaluation and part process qualification and will be responsible for sourcing metallurgical cutoff saws, automatic and manual polishing stations, acids and bases, electrolytic etching equipment, hardness testers (Rockwell, Brinell, Knoop, and Vickers), optical microscopes, surface profilometers, and lab furniture.
The role requires the successful candidate to be a pivotal contributor to the Quality Control and Materials Engineering organizations by providing microstructural and materials data to substantiate specification conformance/non-conformance of customer parts. The documentation of results using digital camera instrumented microscopes (upright, inverted, and macroscope), assembling data, and preparing technical reports using Excel, PowerPoint and Word is required.
- B.S. degree in a technical field with 5 years’ experience managing a large industrial materials laboratory
- Experience working in an aviation, medical implant, or power generation materials engineering laboratory or parts supplier.
- Familiar with reading engineering drawings, materials specifications
- Training in the use of PPE, acid and solvent handling, and lab safety
- Authorized to work within the US without restrictions (U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (or green card holder))
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining housekeeping practices
- Regularly audit lab and plant work areas for safety, cleanliness, and organization
- Perform inventory checks in the lab for PPE, hardware, and consumables
- Manage and monitor chemical labeling in secondary containers and storage locations
- Serve as a member of the Devens Facility Safety Committee.
- Establishing and maintaining budgets
- Detail-oriented and proficient in M.S. Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excited about new challenges in metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Team player with excellent communication skills