VulcanForms is expanding into a new production facility in Devens, MA and needs a Materials Lab Manager at that location. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the lab including layout and work-flow, selecting and installing machines, hiring and managing support staff.
Candidates with extensive experience managing and working in either busy industrial R&D or production support labs are highly sought.
The successful candidate must be highly experienced in preparing and evaluating metallic, metallographic samples for engineering evaluation and part process qualification and will be responsible for sourcing metallurgical cutoff saws, automatic and manual polishing stations, acids and bases, electrolytic etching equipment, hardness testers (Rockwell, Brinell, Knoop and Vickers), optical microscopes, surface profilometers and lab furniture.
The role requires the successful candidate to be a key contributor to the Quality Control and Materials Engineering organizations by providing microstructural and materials data that is used to substantiate specification conformance/non-conformance of customer parts. The documentation of results using digital camera instrumented microscopes (upright, inverted and macroscope), assembling data and preparing technical reports using Excel, PowerPoint and Word is required.
- US Person
- BS degree in a technical field
- 5 years managing a large industrial materials laboratory
- Experience working in an aviation, medical implant or power generation materials engineering laboratory or parts supplier.
- Familiar reading engineering drawings, materials specifications
- Training in the use of PPE, acid and solvent handling and lab safety
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining housekeeping practices
- Regularly audit lab and plant work areas for safety, cleanliness, and organization
- Perform inventory checks in lab for PPE, hardware, and consumables
- Manage and monitor chemical labeling in secondary containers and storage locations
- Serve as a member of the Devens Facility Safety Committee
- Establishing and maintaining budgets