As a Manufacturing Specialist – Level 3 – 1st Shift at VulcanForms, you will have the unique opportunity to work with industrial-scale metal additive manufacturing (AM) machines. You will be part of the team that launches the world’s most productive additive manufacturing systems. This role is based out of Devens, MA.
You will be responsible for setting up AM print jobs, verifying machine settings against production specifications, overseeing the print process and quality as the machine operates, creating post-build reports, and delivering timelines.
You will perform preventive routine maintenance on the machines, cleaning build volumes, and optical components.
Furthermore, you will be responsible for safely handling the metal powder before and after the build; this includes sieving, loading, part de-powdering, measuring, and safe storage. You will manage the life cycle of the metal powder material, maintain part-powder traceability, and coordinate powder suppliers and powder recycling services.
Working with metal powder and high-power laser systems will require strict compliance with the safety protocol and proper use of personal protective equipment. You will contribute to the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for safe and effective equipment usage.
In addition to operating the metal 3D printer, you will also use, on an as-needed basis, equipment in the in-house machine shop, including manual and CNC machines.
- Must be a current US Citizen or US Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment, operating and working with high-tech production machinery, i.e., CNC machines, additive manufacturing, robotic welding, CMM or similar
- Hands-on experience with precision measuring instruments (micrometers, calipers, height gages, precision scales, etc.)
- Excited about new challenges in metal additive manufacturing and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Detail-oriented and well organized.
- A two-year degree from vocational, college, technical institution, or specialized military training
- Eager to learn new skills
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Frequently required to lift, push, pull, and carry items up to 50 pounds.
- Hands-on experience with a variety of machining tools
- Experience with one or more technologies: laser welding, directed energy deposition (DED), powder bed fusion (PBF)
- Capable of diagnosing and fixing malfunctioning equipment problems as they occur
- Knowledge of CNC programming is a plus
- Experience with metal powders is a plus
- Experience with industrial manufacturing is a plus